Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013


View 111_1428.JPG in slide show
Hermana Bendixen and Hermana Butterfield
View 111_1435.JPG in slide show
Great Group of Missionaries
March 2, 2013
Hey Family!

So it's a partial P day here at the MTC so we have a couple of hours to do a few personal things. I think my P day will be Fridays, at least for the next couple of weeks. 

I have been so blessed with a wonderful companion, Hermana Bendixen. She is 21 and from California. She is very patient with me which is probably a difficult challenge. The Spirit is so strong here in the MTC. I often become discouraged in class, but it's important for me to remember to pray for strength in all things. 

Elder Will King is in my Zone...so funny! I've also seen Elder Stafford and Elder Tanner. It's nice to see familiar faces on occasion. 

It's hard to know what to write. There's so much going on. We get up early, eat, sit in a classroom for hours at a time, try to learn a language (that I'm horrible at. I guess I can be grateful I'm not trying to learn Chinese or something.), try to teach a lesson in that language, be told not to be too worried about the language, but then sit there completely clueless as your "investigator" rattles off a string of words you don't recognize. It's great! haha I honestly think my favorite part of the day is gym time.

View 111_1429.JPG in slide show
Hermanas
It's nice to see the other missionaries in our zone that have been here for a few weeks that are getting the language. They have enjoyed their time here, but you can tell they are ready to be out in the field.

I will be here for the 6 weeks so my departure date is April 10th I think. There's a good chance I will be re-assigned. Some of the Hermanas in my zone are being re-assigned today. They were supposed to be going to Argentina, but they couldn't get visas either.

I am so blessed as I realize the support I have back home. As we have gotten to know many of the  Hermanas y Elders I have found that many, especially las Hermanas come from broken homes. Some are the only active members in their families. Many have divorced parents and half siblings. You can tell as you talk with them that it is a struggle. Thank you for your love and support in building a righteous family. I am so grateful. 

Please pray for me, and know I pray for you often. I am excited to get to know my branch presidency more. We met with them and the spirit they brought was a much needed addition to my first full day. One of the counselors made specific promises to me and my life when he interviewed me. I know they are worthy a willing to serve and I hope that I can bring that same spirit to those I teach. I love you. I miss you. And I pray for you often. I know the church is true. I know the spirit is real and that it testifies of truth and allows us to feel peace.

This is my address:
Sister Tessa Butterfield
MTC mailbox 127
PER-TRU
2005 N. 900 E.
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Love your bug,
Hermana Butterfield






March 8, 2013 
Well, I'm still not fluent in Spanish, but my Spanglish is coming right along! It's so silly because I don't know Spanish, but since I'm trying so hard to think about it all the time English is becoming an issue as well. As if I didn't already have a difficult enough time not looking like a blond haha...

Just a heads up -- dear elder is the best thing! We get the letters the same day you send them so if you email or write that's kind of the way to go because then I have a bit more time to think about what to write you...which is hard.

Things are still difficult, but I think I'm mellowing out a bit. It's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling, which sounds awful, but I know I'm not alone. My companion is so good and sweet and patient with me. Can I just say even having one that is so wonderful is hard. Being with someone 24/7 is not an easy thing, but I know it's important.

We got a new teacher this week. He was actually our first mock investigator. I love both of our teachers. Hermano Alexander and Hermano Clifford are so amazing and they recognize our struggles and really work hard to help us in any way they can. After our last lesson with our "investigator" who was H. Clifford, H. Clifford could tell how frustrated and discouraged I was. Can we be honest here, teaching in a language you don't understand is super hard. He pulled out Preach My Gospel and showed my companion and I something. It says something like this, "You will be sad" -- that's a promise, "but do not become discouraged. When you become discouraged the Spirit is driven away." It is so true. I get so frustrated and discouraged because of so many things, but when we forget to have hope and faith, we drive the Spirit away. 

I am ever receiving a testimony of the Priesthood in my life! Thank you to all of the men and young men who worthily hold the Priesthood and allow it to bless the life of those around them! Tuesday night I received a blessing from my Zone Leaders, Elders Salerno y Blackburn. The words that came were what I needed to hear and it gave me the most peace that I have felt since being here. The Lord knows each of us so perfectly. The District that our Zone leaders are in is leaving next week and it is so sad. They are so wonderful and I have loved being able to get to know them!
View 111_1446.JPG in slide show
Elder Salerno
View 111_1447.JPG in slide show
Elder Blackburn
Another thought I've been having is how important endurance is. Our purpose as missionaries is to "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping the receive the restored gospel and faith in Jesus Christ through repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." (it's something close to that, I'm still working on memorizing it.) Often times we know things, but we forget the feelings we have had and the witnesses we have received. Life is hard and we forget why we need the Lord in our lives sometimes, that's why enduring to the end is so important. We need to recognize His hand in our lives and notice the difference there is when we are doing the things we are supposed to be doing.

The days are long, the nights feel short, but the time is going so quickly. I can't believe I've already been at the CCM for over a week! It's absolutely crazy.  

Well, I love you all. Thank you for your support. I know I'm terrible with getting letters off, but I am trying. There's just not enough time in the day and I just never know what to write! But I do so appreciate your prayers and thoughts.

Love, 
Hermana Butterfield

March 15, 2913



Happy birthday, Grandma Royter! I hope that it was a wonderful day! 

Almost three weeks at the CCM! Can you believe that? My time here is half over. Every time I think about that I get so excited. That sounds horrible. I love the CCM, but it will be good to be out in the field. Things are getting a bit better. I'm learning to be better at not becoming frustrated (that sentence is horrible -- spanish is ruining my thinking). It's definitely been a struggle to not get frustrated with everything that is going on, but it's important to remember why I'm here. I am always learning more reasons as to why I am here. For example -- the other night we had two of our roommates who snore...super loud. This is preparing me for marriage...it is...I just know it. haha sorry. That's probably not that funny, but it was at the time. Having a companion is hard, but I know this time is so important because it teaches us so much about being selfless and forgetting ourselves to better serve the people we love.

As a District we have come really close together. It can be a good thing and a bad thing. You can open up with one another, but sometimes staying on task can be a challenge. We had a district leave this last week and Elders Salerno y Blackburn and Hermana Wilcox were in that zone. I really came close with these missionaries so it was hard, but I know they were so ready to be in the field. It's crazy to think that in just a short amount of time that will be me leaving.
View 111_1448.JPG in slide show
Hermana Wilcox
Last Friday was both good and really hard. I can't believe that was a week ago...it seems like yesterday. We had Pday of course and so we were able to go to the temple -- which was amazing. I love the temple so much! We had the opportunity to do sealings. That was my first time and it was such a blessing. As I was sitting there I looked down at my watch and thought of my sweet Bubby playing with my watch so intently (: Oh how I miss my nephews! But oh how grateful I am to know that as we strive to live worthily and keep our covenants, we can be with each other para siempre! What a beautiful knowledge! I love and miss you Brisbane and Logan! Another cool thing that happened was that I met none other that President Shaw's aunt! I want to say her last name was Hamm? I can't remember though. What a tender mercy to have met her though. She was so sweet.

We have been blessed with the most amazing teachers! Hermanos Alexander y Clifford. You can tell they truly love what they do. They are so selfless and willing to help us in every way. No such luck as having Preston as a teacher. I haven't even seen him since I've been here. I guess I shouldn't be shocked...there's like a bajillion Spanish speakers.

And for all who keep asking about the food, it was appetizing for about the first day.

I feel bad that my letters are so lame. Please know that I think of you all so often and pray for you daily. Please keep being good and stay positive -- I know I'm trying.

In Ether 12:27 it talks about showing men their weaknesses that they may become strong -- the Lord pretty much has shown me every weakness I have so hopefully by the end of 18 months I can be strong enough to truly be the woman He wants me and needs me to be.

We've also talked a lot about aligning our will with the Father's. As we do this we will be blessed beyond our knowledge. 

I love you all so much! Stay strong. Have faith. Endure to the end!

Love Hermana Butterfield
View 111_1445.JPG in slide show
Hermano King and Hermana Butterfield
View 111_1455.JPG in slide show
Mail - Yeah

Mail is always a good thing!!!

Elder King from her hometown of Eagle, Idaho.
Always good see a familiar facel
























No comments:

Post a Comment