Powered by Blogger.

Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014

Happy Easter everyone! I´m sad to admit that I definitely thought that it was next Sunday, I´m not sure why, but it sounds like it was a fun day and that you had a fun time....minus the ants in the Easter eggs. I hope that we were all able to take some time to contemplate the importance of this day and what we really celebrate. I clearly had forgotten what day it was, but we had been able to share a lot about the resurrection of Christ a lot in the last week as Peruvians celebrate the entire week -- we´ll get to that later. It truly is remarkable the blessings we receive and I don´t think before I recognized truly the importance and divinity of what occurred.

As I said before, Peruvians celebrate the entire week -- semana santa -- the holy week. It´s a huge Catholic tradition that is celebrated and as there are parts very beautiful, the majority use it as an excuse to get extremely intoxicated, so I guess holidays are pretty much the same here as they are at home haha. My companion was missing home a lot. It´s hard for those that are from here and they are living so close to their culture and their family and they can´t participate. Please send prayers her way. I know she struggles at times, but she will complete her six month mark this week, so that is really exciting.
We´ve been able to come in contact with some new investigators in this last week and are excited to see how others are progressing. Camila, the young woman who we have been teaching went away for semana santa, but when we called her at 7:20 am Sunday morning to wake her up for church she was already awake and getting ready! MIRACLE! She´s 18 and studies and 8 o'clock church is hard for her. She has a testimony though and we can see it growing all the time. She told us that the other day a man came to her house concerned for her well being. He said he had noticed the two young women coming to her house and was concerned that she was listening to us. That we believe in another book and all sorts of things. She said he was so persistent that she wanted to hit him. She asked if he had read the Book of Mormon and when he said no she asked him how it was he could judge and discount it if he had never read it? That she had read it and knows it´s the word of God. She then excused herself and went back inside her house. WHAT?! Girl´s got guts. I was so happy to hear this. We are working to get her friends in the ward. She´s a bit shy, but we feel at this point that´s what she needs to progress. Prayers please, the YSA is a bit dry in fellow-shipping.  Jose was also able to receive the Aaronic Priesthood this week. So fun. He´s awesome!
We received our changes last night. Hermana Ascencio and I will stay here together in Gedeon in Chimbote. I predicted almost every change within our zone correctly. I´m getting really good at it. haha I guess it comes with time...

Hey congrats to Melinda Harper on her mission call! How exciting is that! I am so happy for her and I know there is no greater thing she could be doing. Just like everyone that serves a mission there are sacrifices, but those things that we leave for this short time will still be there when we return, and even better, we should be even more prepared to do them better. I am so happy for her. Send her my love. Anyone have her email address?

Well, love you all lots. Things are good here down south and progressing smoothly. I hope you are all well and healthy and happy!
Love Hermana Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment